It’s Birchbox time again, and this month Birchbox teamed up with “Gossip Girl” for samples inspired by the show. First a quick rundown for those who don’t know about Birchbox. Birchbox is a $10.00 a month subscription service that provides a selection of 4-5 luxury samples of anything from skincare to makeup, hair care, and beauty tools from well-known brands as well as emerging ones. The contents of each month’s box is a surprise and some months are certainly better than others, but overall I’ve been really pleased with my subscription. The best part of Birchbox is the loyalty points program where you can earn points that can later be redeemed for cash in the Birchbox Shop. I’ve gotten major discounts off of NARS, Laura Gellar, and the Balm by redeeming my Birchbox points which sets Birchbox ahead of some of the other subscription services available.
As I said, May’s theme was inspired by “Gossip Girls” and here is what Birchbox had to say: “Of all our guilty pleasures, our weekly “Gossip Girl” date ranks pretty high. As proud New Yorkers, we love seeing our favorite spots on screen—plus we’re addicted to the plot intrigues and killer fashion and beauty looks. Just in time for the season finale Monday, May 14, at 8/7c on The CW, we’ve teamed up with “Gossip Girl” to bring you samples inspired by the series and Manhattan’s chicest events. This collection has exactly what an uptown girl needs for summer. It’s time to break out the bright prints and chic sandals and head to—where else?—the Hamptons. Beach parties call for a fresh, natural look: think foundation-free skin and on-trend nails. And don’t forget—a good guest always follows up with a thank you note.“
- BVLGARI Omnia Crystalline Eau de Toilette Spray- regular price $64.00 for 1.33 oz, or $47.00 for 0.85 oz; sample size 0.05 oz, worth $2.58. “Inspired by luminescent crystals, this elegant scent combines notes of lotus flowers, bamboo, and Nashi pear.”
- Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15- regular price $22.50 for 0.15oz; sample size 0.08 oz, worth $12.00. “This cult favorite has a subtle rosy hue, plus sugar extracts to exfoliate and smooth lips.”
- Kiel’s Abyssine Cream- regular price $48.00 for 1.69 fl oz; sample size 0.25 fl oz, worth $7.10. “A longtime bestseller, this anti-aging moisturizer uses microscopic Abyssine molecules to soften wrinkles and protect skin from free radical damage.”
- Miracle Skin Transformer Body SPF 20 in Glow- regular price $34.00 for 3.38 oz; sample size 0.5 oz, worth $5.03 “Don’t settle for anything but flawless skin- all over your body. This tinted treatment erases blemishes and scars from arms, legs, and decollete.”
- EXTRA Birchbox Notecards- regular price $10.00 for a set of 12; sample size 1 note card, worth $0.83. “Text messages are no match for handwritten notes on fun, modern stationary.”
The grand total worth of my May box is $27.54. I am not a “Gossip Girl” fan, and have no idea how these products relate to the show. I’m not loving the blatant advertising going on. That being said, I still really like the contents of my box. The BVLGARI fragrance smells fantastic and I will totally use it. I’ve been very curious about the Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment, but will never shell out the money for a full priced product. I’m glad that I get to try it without paying $22.50 for lip treatment. I’m really interested in trying the Miracle Skin Transformer because I have some scars and discoloration on my arms. I wonder if it transfers to clothing. I’m anxious to try it out. I’m sure that I will enjoy the Kiel’s Abyssine Cream. The notecard is an odd color to go with that bright pink envelope. I like the color of the card, but it just looks bad with the envelope. I’m sure I’ll use it, but it certainly is not my favorite extra.
I’d love to know what you got in your May Birchbox. Did we get the same samples? Let me know in the comments below. If you want to sign up for your own Birchbox subscription follow this link.