It’s Birchbox time again, and I’m super excited to share this one! January’s box is probably the best one I’ve gotten so far. But first, a quick rundown for those who don’t know about Birchbox. Birchbox is a $10.00 a month subscription service that provides a selection of 4-5 luxury samples of anything from skincare to makeup, hair care, and beauty tools from well-known brands as well as emerging ones. It’s fun to get the box in the mail every month, and sometimes the products really surprise you.
My favorite from December’s box was definitely Benefit The POREfessional primer . It took me a few tries to really get into it, but I am really glad that I got the sample. I’m loving it even more this week because my skin has been having a freak out and POREfessional has been a lifesaver at trying to get my foundation to apply evenly. I’m not ready to switch from my drustore favs, but it is a good primer. The other items were all nice, no duds in the bunch, but nothing to rave about.
January’s theme is “Clarity”. Birchbox says, “January sets the tone for the rest of the year, which is why we’re focusing on bringing clarity to every aspect of our lives- from our minds to our beauty regimen. Accordingly, we’ve included products that will help you start 2012 with a fresh face and optimistic mood.”
- Archipelago Pomegranate Body Soap– regular price $12.50 for 6.9 oz; sample size 1.8 oz, worth $3.26 “Laced with good-for-you pomegranate extracts, this triple-milled soap smells divine and leaves skin clean, not stripped.”
- Juicy Couture, “Juicy Couture”– regular price $69 for 1.7 fl oz, or $89 for 3.4 fl oz; sample size .05 fl oz, worth $1.67 (average) “Juicy’s signature fragrance is a blend of sweet floral notes. Sophisticated and feminine, it’s perfect for day or night.”
- ORIGINS Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash – regular price $19.50 for 150 ml; sample size 30 ml, worth $3.90 “What if your skin has dry patches and oily spots? Alleviate both concerns with his multi-tasking cleanser.”
- Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner in “Lionfish”– regular price $20 for .01 oz; sample size FULL SIZE PRODUCT, worth $20 “It’s time to put down the black liner. This colorful pigment makes eyes stand out and stay put for hours.”
- Extra: LARABAR Mini Bar in Blueberry Muffin – regular price: $14.95 for 12 mini bars; sample size 1 mini bar, worth $1.25 “You won’t find any artificial fillers in these natural bars: just dried fruit, nuts, and other wholesome ingredients. They’re as tasty as they are healthy.” NOTE: This item is sold directly through LARABAR, and not available in the Birchbox shop.
- Extra: Birchbox Logo Magnet- No price listed. They also included a card that offers ideas for detoxing mind, closet, diet, etc. that they suggest you hang on the fridge with the new magnet.
The grand total of my January 2012 Birchbox comes to $30.08. (For items with more than one price point, I averaged the two prices together to get the approximate price of the sample.) Again, Birchbox has provided samples worth well over the subscription fee.
I am loving this month’s box. Perhaps you remember my review of Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner in Koi and Silver Dollar. I love that I received a FULL SIZE of these liners in this month’s box. The only way I’d have been happier with it is if it had been in “Moray” rather than “Lionfish”, which some people did get. Don’t get me wrong, “Lionfish” is a gorgeous color, but I was planning to buy Morray at some point already, so it would have saved me waiting for a sale. I am a huge Juicy fan, so I’m very pleased with my fragrance sample since this scent is on my to-buy list as well. I can’t wait to try the ORIGINS face wash, and the Archipelago soap really does smell divine. The magnet is pretty lame, but whatever. Oh, and the LARABAR! I got my Birchbox right after I had worked out and so I ate the mini bar immediately. It was so tasty that I looked for the brand at my local health food store and picked up a few bars. FYI: the full sized bars can be bought individually and are regularly $1.69 each (I think). I really think that January’s box is the best box so far, and I’m still very much on good terms with Birchbox. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for next month.