My Birchbox didn’t arrive this month until the 20th, so this is my first chance to post it. I thought about ignoring it completely this month since you have probably seen other posts by now, and know what came in the Birchbox’s. After such and epic fail last month, though, I wanted to follow up a bit.
I was so angry about last month’s Birchbox, that it took a long time to even try out any of the products. Sadly, the best thing in the box was the perfume sample. The card sample of Stila was not quite enough of the Beauty Balm or the foundation for a full face of makeup, so I had to supplement it with another foundation (though there was plenty of concealer). I haven’t used the shave cream or the razor yet because I have a ton already. I’m not going to re-hash why I was so upset, but I did email Birchbox to express my disappointment. I found their response to be unsatisfactory. This is the first time that I have gotten a response from Birchbox that left me as unhappy with them as I started. Usually their CS dept. is great, but not in this case. I have decided to stick it out with Birchbox until after the Holidays. I plan to redeem my points when they have a good holiday deal. Then I’ll make a decision. I have now subscribed to MyGlam, so I’ll be getting my first bag in October. If I end up liking it better, I may ditch Birchbox entirely. That being said, September’s box was much better (hard not to be), though I wish it had gotten to me on time. Oh, and I had a missing item, but more on that later.
September’s theme was fall fashion and in addition to the normal beauty samples, Birchbox included a Fall lookbook and a $25 off $75 coupon for Madewell. The lookbook covers hair, nails, fragrance, and of course, makeup. “September marks the starting line for the season’s fashion bonanza. We’ll leave the 900+ page fall fashion issues to Vogue, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have plenty of inspiration to share. We’ve put together a mini-mag filled with ten of our favorite fall trends. Flip through and get inspired! We have just the thing to jumpstart your autumn beauty collection: a custom Color Club nail polish inspired by the Fall 2012 collections. In addition to this exclusive shade, you’ll also find standout products that will set off a season’s worth of outfits.”
- BVLGARI Mon Jasmin Noir-regular price $47 for 0.85 fl oz or $83 for 50 ml; sample size 0.05 fl oz (1.5 ml), worth $2.63. With waves of ripe fruit and a base of heady jasmine, this luxurious scent is the perfect accessory to fall outfits.
- Color Club Birchbox Custom Polish in Put a Pin in It- regular price $8 for .5 fl oz; sample size .25 fl oz, worth $4. We teamed up with Color Club to create this custom shade, inspired by the fall 2012 collections.
- Twistband Birchbox Custom Lace Hair Tie- regular price $14-22 for a set of 6-12; sample size 1 band, worth $2.82 Designers went gaga for lace this season and we don’t blame them. Get on board with these ouch-free hair ties.
- Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator- regular price $34 for 129 ml; sample size 20g, worth $5.27 This exfoliating cleanser uses professional-grade (read: effective) microderm crystals and papaya enzymes to brighten dull skin.
- WEI to Go Sleep Over Kit- regular price $19 for 0.5 fl oz & 0.33 fl oz: sample size .02 fl oz & .1 fl oz, worth $ 2.75 Wash away dirt and debris with the camellia oil-infused cleanser, then perfect your skin with the moisturizing face tint.
- EXTRA: The Brush Guard Brush Guard Variety Kit- regular price $5.50 for a set of 4; sample size 3 guards, worth $4.13 Slip these handy protectors over your makeup brushes to keep bristles in top-notch condition even when you’re on the go. This item was missing.
- EXTRA: Birchbox Digital Download Tristan Prettyman- download two of the singer/songwriter’s brand new tracks.
The total worth of my September Birchbox comes to $17.47. I did not include the Brush Guards in my total because the sample was missing. I emailed Birchbox and they apologized and said that they would send them to me. We’ll see. Overall, I’m happy with my box, especially if I get the brush guards that I’ve been meaning to buy already. The perfume is a little more sophisticated than I typically wear, so I may end up giving it away. I am excited to try the Vasanti and Wei products, though. And I love the Color Club polish. The shade is perfect.
In addition to my box, I was also sent a leather keychain from Birchbox. It is a thank you for being a subscriber. I get the impression that it was only sent to long-time subs, but I could be wrong on that. It’s cute, and it fits a lip balm, which is handy. I like it.