Yesterday I posted about my first My Glam bag, and now I want to show you October’s Birchbox so that you can compare the two. This month subscribers were offered a choice to get the normal box, or a Goop.com themed box. I opted for the normal box, thinking that the Goop box wouldn’t suit me as well as the normal Birchbox.
October’s Birchbox theme is Transformation: “Since we were kids, October has meant one thing: costumes. (And candy, of course.) From princesses to Wonder Woman, we had quite the parade of getups. In honor of those days, we’re dedicating this month’s Birchbox to beauty changes both big and small. Transformation doesn’t have to mean dying your hair blue or tossing out your entire closet. We’ve picked samples that you can use to shake up your routine. Switch up your hairstyle, try a bolder lipstick shade, or go completely sans makeup one day. You’ll be surprised at how minor tweaks can make a big difference.”
- La Fresh Eco-Beauty Acetone-Free Nail Polish Remover- regular price $9.99 for 20 packets; sample size 2 packets, worth $0.99. Feel free to change up your mani daily. These pads dissolve polish with a mix of botanicals and aloe vera.
- Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss in Barely Nude– regular price $26 for .10 fl oz; sample size .008 fl oz, worth $2.08. Show off your (nearly) bare lips with this sheer gloss, which doubles as a subtle plumper.
- theBalm cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer- regular price $24 for 8.5 g; sample size 1 g, worth $2.82. Play up your best features with this three-in-one highlighter, shadow, and all-over shimmer.
- Willa Clear Face Moisturizer- regular price $11.50 for 1 fl oz; sample size .5 fl oz, worth $ 5.75. This healing hydrator is made with aloe, mango extract, and eucalyptus to balance moisture levels without clogging your pores.
- EXTRA: LUNA Fiber Chocolate Raspberry Bar- regular price $14.95 for 12; sample size 1 bar, worth $1.25. We keep these yummy fiber-packed bars on hand at all times.
The grand total worth of my October Birchbox is $12.89, which is barely over my $10 subscription fee. Honestly, I do really like all of the samples that I got this month. I’ll use them all. The real problem is the sample size. Birchbox samples seem to be getting smaller and smaller, which brings their worth down.
Here is the Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss sample. The packaging is similar to a perfume sample. The actual gloss is a super tiny amount, and only fills about half the little tube.
Here is the lip gloss along with the tiny Mary-Lou Manizer next to a penny for size reference. They are really very small samples. When compared to this month’s My Glam bag, Birchbox seems a little ridiculous. I really am leaning towards dropping Brchbox. I’ll give it through the end of the year, but if Birchbox doesn’t step it up, I’m done. When it comes to October’s winner in the battle between the box and the bag, Birchbox is the sad loser. My Glam, now called Ipsy, was the clear winner, and I’m so glad that I signed up.